Mike Starr’s Death Overdose Related?, Alice In Chains Members Speak Out

Written by Michael Lambarde on Mar. 09, 2011

As noted yesterday, former star of Alice in Chains band, Mike Starr, was found dead in his home in Salt Lake City on Tuesday. This was after he was arrested this past February for felony possession of a controlled substance, for possession of six Xanax and Opana pills. Yesterday, Starr’s father reached out to TMZ to tell them that the death of his son was both a “terrible shock” and “tragedy”.

Back in 2002, Alice in Chains lead singer Layne Staley died due to a drug overdose, and Starr was reportedly upset about it, which helped him get back on to the track of recovery from his heroin addiction. Although it has not been confirmed, it is widely speculated that Starr also died to an overdose, which would be the second drug related death of an Alice in Chains member.

Guitarist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney reached out to Mike Starr following his death, releasing the following statement about his death: “Jerry and Sean are mourning the loss of their friend and ask that the media respect their privacy — and the privacy of Mike’s family — during this difficult time. Their thoughts & prayers are with the Starr family.”


Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.